What Will Happen To The People I Care About
It is natural to worry about the well being of your family, pets and other loved ones when you go into rehab but there are several options to see to their care while you get treatment.
Addict's family is one of the main worries they face when they require a treatment; they are concerned about their financial security, where they will live and if they can contact them once they get into treatment.
Knowing the options to overcome these problems will enable you to make the best choice for you and your loved ones.
Your family will receive the best loving attention while away by making good plans for them and seeking the assistance of other people before embarking on the recovery program.
- Who will take care of my kids while I am at a treatment centre?
- Suppose I have no relative to take care of them, what next?
- Are there better alternatives?
- Can my loved ones pay me a visit?
- How will my family manage when i'm in rehab?
- How do I speak to my child about going to therapy?
- What happens to my pet when I am in treatment?
- How can I stay in touch with my loved ones while in rehab?
- How can I find treatment now?
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 772 3971
Child Care Alternatives For People In Therapy
Finding someone you trust to care for your children can be difficult if you're thinking about going to rehab. Nevertheless, there are various child care choices present when you're in rehab.
People that your children are already familiar with and feel at ease around are the most reliable people you should put in charge of your children when away from home.
Contact us instantly on 0800 772 3971 for support in getting the correct therapy.
These people could be
- Close friends
If these individuals are unavailable due to engagements such as school or work, daytime child care could be a viable option. There are treatment facilities that offer services to care for children or will link you up to a child care services provider.
Single parents are sometimes allowed to stay with their children in some treatment facilities. These plans not only heal the guardian's dependence, but as well treat the kid for any associated psychological health concerns.
If you want a rehab that accommodates kids, give us a call and we will get one for you.
How To Tell Your Child About Going To Rehab
It is very significant to speak with your kid about your dependency and why you are going for a treatment. This will help them in understanding and dealing with your absence. It will as well aid them recognize they're not to accuse.
A number of stipulations to adopt when verbalizing to your kids are
- Teach yourself about dependence and therapy.
- Discussing with your children will become easy, depending on the level of your understanding of the two issues.
- Let them get what you are saying by considering their age when discussing with them.
- Don't use medical terminology.
- Choose the appropriate time for the talk.
- Create a quiet environment with few distractions.
- Accept the impact that your addiction has had on them and recognize their feelings.
- Tell them you're sorry if you're hurt their feelings.
- Be open to questions and tell the truth.
- The fact that your are responsible for your actions and they can't do anything about it should be discussed with them.
The "Seven Cs" were created by the National Association for Children of Alcoholics to educate kids on how they can deal with the drug or alcohol problems of a parent. Kids are urged to remember the "Seven Cs" to remind them that they're not the source of the difficulty. It can also give them advice so they can deal with their parent's addiction.
The Seven Cs For Your Child To Know
- I am not the cause
- I cannot cure it
- I cannot control it
- I am able to care better for myself
- By communicating my emotions
- Making health conscious choices, and
- Celebrating me
Government And Non-Profit Child Care Options
There are other options if you don't have friends or family that can help you. Safe Families for Children is one - a non-governmental, volunteer organization. If parents are unable to care for them, organizations like these will help find temporary homes for children. The safety of your kids is guarantee because the organization confirms the trustworthiness of the families that support them. You will be able to preserve custody while you are in rehab and after it thanks to these organizations.
If there are no such programs that match what you need as a family, you may consider voluntary foster placement if it is offered in your state. In many cases, this is the last option.
Placing your child in foster care requires you to sign a VPA or Voluntary Placement Agreement. Signing it means that you will be transferring the custody and care of your child to the Department of Children's Services temporarily. You may be obligated for paying child support each month.
It is an alternative, although it may be terrifying to make that choice. If you are must go to the court as required by the agreement you sign with the VPA, do it. You can give your kid and yourself the best gift, and that is overcoming your addiction.
Options For Pet Care Whilst In Rehab
Pets are very crucial members of most of the families. People with pets often have a hard time finding care for their pets, just like some addicts do for their children. There are many alternatives for you if you can't find a person to look after your pet while you are in treatment.
Even though long term stays can be a bit pricey, there are options for lengthy boarding in many boarding centres. A pet sitter can turn out to be a less expensive choice for pets that need minimal attention, such as cats, rodents and fish. Pet sitters visit your residence defined number of times every day or week to conduct care practices. While you are away, some might even take your pets to their home. This is a better option for dogs or animals that will need more support.
You should ensure that the person you left your pet with while you are away has all the necessary guidelines, your pet's medical history and your vet or animal clinic emergency number. It is also good to inform the animal clinic or vet that your pet will be in another person's care for the duration you will be in treatment.
Some treatment centres will allow you to bring your pet with you if leaving them is not a viable option. Rehab centres who allow this are still uncommon despite the fact that many people are. In some situations, it may require one to move to a different state or city to access such a facility. There are rehabs that permit pets on visit, this may be a good alternative if your rehab forbids them.
Visits From Loved Ones When In Rehabilitation
Family assistance is crucial to breaking free from addiction, and a good number of rehab centres feel that their presence will play a role in helping you to get over the problem.
For the first 3 to 7 days after you arrive at the centre, you are not allowed to contact or discuss with anybody as a way of helping you get used to the new environment.
Most rehabs offer visiting hours once the initial adjustment period is over.
There are programs that let you have daily visits when you have free time while others have weekly or monthly visits. Every program has its own visitation time.
A counsellor may need to approve visitors and they will be added to an approved visitor's list in order to visit you. View your centres' regulations to make sure that your loved ones match the essential demands for visitation.
Contacting Your Friends And Family From Treatment
While you are in treatment you can talk with your friends and family in a few ways. Most places will allow phone calls and emails during designated times, but this varies by facility. You can also receive and send mail.
Care packages are also allowed in some centres. The employees will, however, probably open them for the security reasons. To find out what items are allowed in care packages, check with your facility's administration.
Family counselling may also be offered. In many addiction cases, loved ones are also affected by the condition. These sessions will help everyone heal by acknowledging everyone's feelings.
Monetary Help For Your Family Whilst In Rehab
The expenses related to treating addiction can be a burden financially especially where your family has to go without one source of income as you are in rehab. These suggestions will help you with many things you can do to lighten the challenge
- You can consider the time you spend at the centre as part of your paid time off or sick leave if you have a discussion with your boss about it.
- If you've a lot saved up, you'll still acquire a pay check for some, if not all, of your period in Rehab.
- Ask friends and family for assistance.
- There might be more people than you expect ready to help with your family's living expenditures or with your rehabilitation.
- You should also consult your health insurer to establish if they can pay for some of your treatment expenses.
- There are additional payment options available through Medicaid/Medicare and the Affordable Care Act.
- You can also enquire your boss if they provide short-term disability and if so whether the program caters for substance and alcohol rehabilitation.
- Costs can be lowered if you are able to use any of these options.
- To ensure that you pay for your treatment without trouble, you can check the facility whether there is allowance for installment payment if you cannot pay the whole medical bill once.
If your family can't keep up with bills while you're getting treatment, try to get extensions or ask your creditors to change dues dates. A lot of people will be prepared to cooperate with you because many know what addiction means and will want to support your decision to quit.
Addiction Treatment Is The Best Solution For Your Family And You
It is normal to express your mind about leaving your family and moving to a rehab centre. Everybody that decides on getting treatment deals with similar emotions. But it's important to get the help you need and not to let these concerns dissuade you. Your family and you will benefit if you can put your addiction behind you.
Dependence on drug shouldn't be what you will spend your live or that of your family on always.